Conservation repairs with internal and external alterations to ‘The Central Hotel’, a Grade II Listed Victorian public house located in the heart of the town centre within the Colwyn Bay Conservation area.
Significant internal alterations were carried out in order to create a more appealing environment to the public house, sympathetically considered in conjunction with the re-branding of the building.
Alteration to the external fabric included the renewal of the ground floor public house frontage; designed with a careful and considered approach through material choice and attention to detail to maintain visually the building’s original architectural character and heritage value.
The overall design took precedent from the previous 1930’s shop frontage which was also emulated in the new hardwood timber frontage, this also influenced the interior design for wall colours which harmonised with the external materials and finishes through the largely glazed frontage, lighting provided in the form of prismatic/art deco fittings, tiled fixed bar fitting etc. Furniture was an eclectic mix of worn and polished loose furniture with striking and bold fabrics to provide focus and colour to the neutral background.
Subtle railway themed room and wayfinding signage was incorporated as a link back to the historic relationship with the railway station and reinstated public house name.